The series is brought to delegates under the auspices of the Healthy Workplaces Manage Dangerous Substances campaign, recently launched in April 2018 by EU-OSHA, as well as the Breathe Freely in Manufacturing initiative, which launched in May 2017 by BOHS, the Chartered Society for Worker Health Protection.
Delegates are invited by BOHS, EEF and EU-OSHA to attend the free morning sessions, which will provide important information for anyone who has a health and safety role in the manufacturing industry, and especially those who are responsible for the protection of workers’ health.
What delegates can expect:
- Expertise: BOHS, EEF, HSE and TUC will explore the extent of the issues around the respiratory health of welders in manufacturing and discuss tangible solutions.
- Free materials: Speakers will introduce the campaigns and guide delegates through the free resources and tools provided.
- Case studies: Industry professionals will present good practice examples and case studies.
- Networking: The roadshows will provide a unique opportunity to network with other industry professionals, have your voice heard, and exchange knowledge and expertise.
- A hearty breakfast: Baps with coffee and tea will be provided for a great start to the day
Says BOHS president Neil Grace: “We are delighted to present these roadshows in partnership with EU-OSHA and EEF. Welding is one of the most common activities carried out in industry, with around 190,000 workers in the UK who weld either regularly or occasionally. Welding is one of the top ten causes of work-related cancer, causing an estimated 150 deaths a year in the UK. In addition, welding is associated with numerous other serious health conditions, such as asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), metal fume fever and effects on the nervous system as well as throat and lung irritation, and reduced lung function.
“These collaborative roadshows offer the perfect vehicle to tackle such problems using occupational hygiene solutions, whilst raising awareness of respiratory health and spreading the vital messages of our Breathe Freely in Manufacturing initiative and EU-OSHA’s Healthy Workplaces Manage Dangerous Substances campaign.”
The events are free to attend. The dates and locations are as follows:
- Thursday, 12 July 2018, Barrow-in Furness, 8:30 – 12:30
- Another roadshow will take place in autumn in London – further details to be confirmed
Dr Christa Sedlatschek, EU-OSHA’s Director, concluded, “Contrary to widespread belief, the use of dangerous substances is not decreasing in the EU, and the need to manage the risks they pose is as pressing as ever. Workers are exposed to dangerous substances in many European workplaces and these exposures, as illustrated by the case of welding fume in manufacturing, are more common than most people realise. This presents major safety and health challenges. Fortunately however, with effective risk assessment and the sharing of best practice in worker health protection, these risks can be controlled.”
To find out more and to register, click here.
Image by Earl53 on Morguefile.com